2017 Find Your Roots Mataro (SOLD OUT)
Murray Street Vineyards
This fruit was purchased from Murray Street Vineyards in Greenock, with these Mataro vines situated directly in front of the winery. 16 year old bush vines, dry grown in deep alluvial soils. This is a case of the right variety planted in the right location. 2017 was a cool and wet vintage for the Barossa, which has resulted in a lighter bodied Mataro.
Hand picked, with 90% of the fruit being destemmed and the remaining 10% going in as whole bunches. Fermented wild in old concrete fermenters, foot stomped twice a day for 15 days before basket pressing to old French oak for 10 months. The wine was then racked and blended before bottling with no fining and no filtration. This wine is vegan.
This wine blew me away from the moment I tasted the fruit in the vineyard just before harvest. It has a great depth of colour- deep purple. A bright yet savoury nose, but then a super juicy and crunchy palate. The 2017 vintage was cooler and wetter than normal for the Barossa, resulting in lighter, more elegant styles. I have been quoted as saying that this is “the best wine that I have ever made”. Sadly it will be a one-off, and we only produced 160 dozen, so get in quick before it all sells out!
Alc: 12.5% pH: 3.48 T.A.: 6.69 g/l
Ready to drink now or cellar for 5-7 years.
91 points- Tyson Stelzer, July 2018
Out of stock